How to Select a Gem for Your Engagement Ring

marriage proposal

Bon Jovi and Sheryl Crow both rocked it. Beyonce even sang and danced about it. We are of course talking about the engagement ring, and more importantly, the gemstone that sits atop. One of the most significant decisions in the life of someone planning a marriage proposal has got to be the engagement ring. After all, isn’t the final outcome of this very precious gift intended to weigh in favor of the proposer?
In the early part of the 20th century, diamonds made up just 10% of all engagement rings in the world. The other 90% were crafted with coloured gemstones like rubies, sapphires and emeralds. In 1938, De Beers embarked on an ambitious marketing campaign that changed the way we looked at diamonds and its significance in an engagement ring. However, in recent years, we have started to see a gradual reversal of this decades-old trend, as a growing number of couples have decided to go with rubies, sapphires and emeralds instead.
So how do you select a coloured gemstone for your engagement ring? Here are 4 simple steps you can use when selecting a coloured gemstone, specifically the BIG 3 – Rubies, Sapphires, Emeralds.


Step 1: Learn about the gems
In our world today, it is relatively easy to find information about almost anything under the sun through the internet. My advice: take some time to learn about the gemstones – their physical and chemical properties, history and lore, beauty and quality, production and mining.


Step 2: Consider just ONE of the big three
Make your marriage proposal a simple and beautiful one. My advice: choose just one gemstone and zoom in to its beauty and begin your search for the right piece.


Step 3: Make a connection with the gem
The most basic way of looking at quality is based on the 4Cs – colour, clarity, carat and cut. My advice: ask yourself which of the 4Cs you are most willing to spend on. For example, if depth of colour is most important, look for the best colour possible.


Step 4: Decide on your budget
With knowledge about the gemstone, you would be more confident to reserve your savings for the ideal proposal ring. My advice: with a budget, select the largest possible, most beautiful gem for your engagement ring.


I believe that the marriage proposal process must be a beautiful one. So I hope these 4 steps will help you make the best choice for an engagement ring.


If you are looking for Home Insurance, Contents and Valuables Insurance is ideal for expatriates renting a home in Singapore. Expat Insurance offers a range of Contents and Valuables Insurance with premium levels between $350 and $2500. Our priority is to provide you with the best value-for-money Home Insurance that meets your individual coverage needs.


Home Insurance for your diamond engagement ring, watches, oriental rugs, fine art, sporting equipment, cameras and computers can all be arranged on an agreed value basis. This means, if you insure an item for $10,000 and experience a loss, you receive a cheque for $10,000 once the claim is authenticated and approved.


Get A Quote Today

(Shared by Tay Kunming, Director of Far East Gems & Jewellery

Home & Lifestyle

Fill In The Form To Get An Immediate Quote


Fill In The Form To Get An Immediate Quote


Fill In The Form To Get An Immediate Quote

Oops! We could not locate your form.

Download Guides

Please fill in the form to download.